7 Dec 2010

Update; Now the snow's melted

On the 1st December I wrote that ...
"I would like to get onto actually putting stuff online today, but I don't know how successful that's going to be. I also need to order a marriage certificate for George WRIGHT and Elizabeth SHONE who married in a civil ceremony in 1878 so I couldn't view the record for free in the parish registers. George & Elizabeth are my maternal 3x Great Grandparents and I want to make sure that I have the correct George with his family in the Census returns before I chase them backwards."
 Well the marriage certificate was delivered today. It was lying on the mat when I got home from work so I opened it up, expecting to see the name "John WRIGHT" where the father of the groom is listed. Yep, it didn't happen. Instead I've been given the name "Solomon WRIGHT", an agricultural labourer from Northop.


So what next?


Well I'm going to make sure that Elizabeth's maiden name was SHONE. I'm 99% sure that it is as I believe I got it from a baptism of one of their children but it was a long time ago and I didn't record the source correctly. If I cannot find the baptism record then I will have to order the birth certificate of one of their children, preferably one with a more unusual name so that I can be sure I'm ordering the correct one.


If I can find the baptism record then it means I have the wrong birth certificate for George WRIGHT. *sigh*


Either way this certificate has raised more questions than it has answered and I've got another journey ahead of me. I'm fast going off the name "George" as there are loads of them!