20 Sept 2011

The Tech Savvy Genealogists’ Meme


I’ve not come across a ‘meme’ before, but this one caught my eye given the giant geek I think myself to be…… lets see how I do. Thanks to Deb Ruth, over at Adventures in Genealogy for lighting this particular fire under me

Are you a tech savvy genealogist?

The list should be annotated in the following manner:

*Things you have already done or found: bold face type
*Things you would like to do or find: italicize (colour optional)
*Things you haven’t done or found and don’t care to: plain type

Feel free to add extra comments in brackets after each item.

Which of these apply to you?
  1. Own an Android or Windows tablet or an iPad 
  2. Use a tablet or iPad for genealogy related purposes (my OH has just purchased a Sony Tablet. I hate the i-craze so I’ll never own an iPad but I will be having a play around with the OHs Tablet to see if its any good)
  3. Have used Skype to for genealogy purposes
  4. Have used a camera to capture images in a library, archives, or ancestor’s home (My camera is always with me when I go hunting. Its very useful if I find something I wasn’t expecting and its cheaper than printing copies & quicker than copying down information the old fashioned way)
  5. Use a genealogy software program on your computer to manage your family tree (I use FTM2011 and love it)
  6. Have a Twitter account (if you want to follow my inane ramblings I’m @lazyloveruk)
  7. Tweet daily
  8. Have a genealogy blog (hello!)
  9. Have more then one genealogy blog (my other blog is about my STEERS ONS, go take a look)
  10. Have lectured/presented to a genealogy group on a technology topic. (The thought of doing something like this terrifies me, plus I have no patience)
  11. Currently an active member of Genealogy Wise (Haven’t heard of this….*goes off to check* … interesting. Have just joined up)
  12. Have a Facebook Account
  13. Have connected with genealogists via Facebook (Facebook is still a distraction for me, I use Google+ and Twitter more for genealogical interactions)
  14. Maintain a genealogy related Facebook Page (I have a page for the STEERS ONS)
  15. Maintain a blog or website for a genealogy society
  16. Have submitted text corrections online to Ancestry, Trove or a similar site (many, many, many, times…*sigh*)
  17. Have registered a domain name
  18. Post regularly to Google+ (Need to do more of this)
  19. Have a blog listed on Geneabloggers (a godsend of a site.)
  20. Have transcribed/indexed records for FamilySearch or a similar project
  21. Own a Flip-Pal or hand-held scanner (If the Flip-Pal manufactures EVER read this PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE ship to the UK or I’ll be forced to stick it on my wedding list and bully my American cousins into getting one & shipping it to me)
  22. Can code a webpage in .html (now I can do basic .html but nothing fancy)
  23. Own a smartphone (Android I <3 you)
  24. Have a personal subscription to one or more paid genealogy databases
  25. Use a digital voice recorder to record genealogy lectures
  26. Have contributed to a genealogy blog carnival
  27. Use Chrome as a Browser (Anything is better than IE)
  28. Have participated in a genealogy webinar
  29. Have taken a DNA test for genealogy purposes
  30. Have a personal genealogy website (which can be found here – is in dire need of an update though)
  31. Have found mention of an ancestor in an online newspaper archive
  32. Have tweeted during a genealogy lecture
  33. Have scanned your hardcopy genealogy files
  34. Use an RSS Reader to follow genealogy news and blogs (GoogleReader)
  35. Have uploaded a gedcom file to a site like Geni, MyHeritage or Ancestry
  36. Own a netbook (I’m still debating this)
  37. Use a computer/tablet/smartphone to take genealogy lecture notes
  38. Have a profile on LinkedIn that mentions your genealogy
  39. Have developed a genealogy software program, app or widget 
  40. Have listened to a genealogy podcast online
  41. Have downloaded genealogy podcasts for later listening
  42. Backup your files to a portable hard drive
  43. Have a copy of your genealogy files stored offsite
  44. Know about Rootstech
  45. Have listened to a Blogtalk radio session about genealogy
  46. Use Dropbox, SugarSync or other service to save documents in the cloud (I <3 Dropbox)
  47. Schedule regular email backups
  48. Have contributed to the Familysearch Wiki
  49. Have scanned and tagged your genealogy photographs (It’s an ongoing process)
  50. Have published a genealogy book in an online/digital format

My tech savvy score is 24 out of 50 = 48%

That’s not bad. I find it difficult to get to talks because I work full time and I wouldn’t use my phone during a talk unless it was a feature of the talk because it just seems a little disrespectful (to be at least). I still take notes by hand because it helps me remember points of discussion more easily.

My email’s are handled online so I’ve never really thought about having to back them up (despite loosing about 3 years worth of contacts last year) so that’s something I really need to sort out.

Head over to GeneaBloggers for Genealogy Meme-Apalooza!